Monday, June 8, 2009

Stretchers

I have been asked about the requirements for building a stretcher frame. Do you have to build one all the way from scratch or can you buy pre-cut wood?

The answer is:

You must build at least 1 stretcher frame from scratch. This means you must purchase at least one 1x2, 1 quarter round, cut them with mitered corners, clamp those corners, apply the quarter rounds to the 1x2 rectangle*, brace the corners then stretch and prime the canvas on the stretcher frame. The deadline for building a stretcher frame from scratch is this Friday, June 12.

I advise you to be discerning when purchasing lumber. Pull the 1x2 & quarter round down and look down the length of it to check for warping. Also be careful to check for cracks, flaws and knots. The cheaper pine lumber is fine for our needs. Your 1x2 should cost around $1.50 and your quarter round about $3.50.

ADDITIONALLY: You must show that you can stretch a canvas on a stretcher frame. I have asked all Painting I students to bring commercially made, pre-cut stretcher bars to class tomorrow, Tuesday, June 9. I will demonstrate how to stretch a canvas on a stretcher frame, and then how to properly prime that canvas. I will bring canvas pliers a stapler and staples, but you must supply your own stretcher bars, canvas and primer. If you have your own stapler and staples, please bring them. (We're talking heavy duty stapler & staples, not the kind you staple paper with).

I have tried to be as thorough as possible, but if you still have questions, please comment here and let me clear them up.

* 1x2 here refers to the dimension of the lumber not to the proportion of your format.

No comments: