Hi Students. My son has the flu and I have been told to keep him home for the rest of the week. Because I have been exposed to the the virus, I think it best I not come in on Thursday and possibly expose you to it. However, I do think it is important for you to continue in class with the work we have been doing, particularly Drawing 1.
Drawing 1: Please pass a role sheet around first thing and everyone sign it. Work together to set up several simple still lives using the gray objects only on the medium gray drape. Each still life should have 5 objects, and everyone should set up so that they can see all 5 objects. The drapery should have some draped areas, so that there is a variety of values in the ground as well as in the objects.
You will then go about drawing using brush and wash as we did last class meeting. First do some linear thumbnails in your sketch diaries to help you understand the composition. Second, do a few value studies in your sketch diaries or on small pieces of paper, to help you understand the value structure. For your long drawing, you may lightly sketch out the placement of objects, loosely, using graphite. Use a light wash to cover the entire paper, except for the areas that are the lightest light. Next, mix a slightly darker wash and cover everything but the lightest light, and the next lightest values with it. Continue making darker washes, and working your way towards the darkest values.
Professor Baggett, the Chairman of the Art Department, has agreed to come by class and check on your progress and take the role sheet. Professor Baggett is a highly accomplished artist and can give you a different perspective on your work, so this is really a good opportunity for you.
For your homework, I'd like you to repeat this assignment using middle values on a middle ground.
Design 2:
I would like for you to put all the work you've done, that I have not yet seen, up on the board, grouping them by assignments. Then I'd like for you to critique yourselves. I think you have all had enough experience in class to do this without me there. Remember, the point of critique is to help one another understand the assignments more fully.
Your homework is a "free design" which means you must define your own problem. You must use the concepts we have discussed in class. Think about what creates harmony and what creates variety in a design and what characteristics you can modify. The design may NOT be a problem we have already done. Remember the characteristics of color are: hue, value and chroma, plus temperature. Also remember that the thing that creates variety is difference or change and it can be abrupt (contrast) or gradual (transition).
I would like for you to pass a role sheet around class and everyone sign it. Someone from the Art Office will be by to pick it up. I would like for everyone to attend class and stay until you have all finished your critique. In my estimation, you should be in the studio until at least 12:30. Also, I think it would be good for you all to discuss the homework assignment I have given, so that anyone who doesn't fully understand can be helped by talking with their peers.
Please feel free to post questions about assignments here as comments and I will be glad to help you. Thanks for understanding.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hope he's over it by Monday. The flu is hard to deal with. Good luck staying germ free. See you Tuesday, hopefully. :)
Erin F.
Thank you Erin...he seems to have a pretty mild case. Knock on wood and keep your fingers crossed.
Post a Comment