I received a question about what kind and how much canvas to purchase for the class. For those of you taking painting one , and perhaps for those of you in Painting 2 or 3, here are some tips.
There are so many choices for canvas on all the websites I mentioned previously. My main concern is that you purchase enough to get you through the semester, that the canvas is of good enough quality, and that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg.
Things to take into account are the weight, texture and width of the canvas. I suggest you stay away from heavy weight canvas because it can be difficult to stretch, is more expensive and is unnecessarily heavy for the size paintings we will be doing. I also would like you to avoid canvas that is too lightweight because it can be too elastic and allows gesso to seep between the weave. Usually the kind of canvas available at fabric stores is too lightweight for our needs. I definitely want you to NOT buy pre-primed canvas, as priming is one of the skills you will learn in class.
I suggest you go to a website like Utretcht.com and find a price you can live with, then check the details of the canvas. When you click the item, usually it will tell you the weight, texture, width and yardage. You can buy fewer yards of canvas that has a wider width, or more yards at a lesser width. (FYI: I just checked the Utrecht site, and there is a sale on unprimed canvas).
It's hard for me to tell you exactly how much yardage you'll need for several reasons, including whether or not you will be taking any more painting classes. It's more economic to buy more canvas on a roll, although it the cost is higher up front. If you're taking painting classes after this one, it might be cheaper in the long run to buy more canvas on the roll, that you will use in later classes. Other factors include how many paintings you complete during the class, how large those canvases are, and how wisely you cut your canvas. Don't forget, you can save on shipping fees by ordering more canvas now, to use later or to split with another student.
The size of the canvases we'll be working on will range between 9 x 12" and 18 x 24". You can count on between 2-4 canvases a week, depending on the assignment and your painting speed. Work out the math for your square yardage and then find a corresponding option with an art supply source that fits your budget.
As an aside: I strongly encourage you to post questions here as comments. There are probably other students wondering the same thing. I can answer the question you asked and possibly the question many others were thinking.
Thanks. I can't wait to get this class underway!
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My name is Bryan and I'm in painting I. I have a question on canvas. I am wondering if we should get the Double Weave type C.D.12 or Combination Weave C.D.50? The double weave is more, which doesn't matter, but does this mean better quality or does it mean that it's a thicker and less transparent canvas?
The lesser priced one is fine. I think the double weave is more expensive because it's heavier.
Cool. That will make a difference of $17 plus s&H to %60 plus s&h. Hobby lobby switched canvas people and won't get any more for awhile. Michaels has been out and only have a $80 dollar roll left if anyone else is looking. The website Ultecht or whatever it was called is the cheapest with the %17 dollar plus s&h.
Post a Comment