Friday, January 18, 2008

Color Wheel & Spectrum

Your color wheel and spectrum are due Friday, January 25. The tiles in both the spectrum and the color wheel should be 1 inch squares. The color wheel should appear circular (I know that seems obvious, but you'd be surprised by how many non-circular color wheels I've seen). Both the spectrum and color wheel should be labeled.

Keep painting your cards. I can't stress enough how important it is that you continue with this outside of class. It is so difficult to catch up when you fall behind in this class. Wednesday, January 23 is a painting day. No lecture planned.

If you have any questions, please post them here, as someone else may be wondering the same thing. I will answer you online.

Everyone have a lovely holiday and I'll see you Wednesday.


Ellsworth Kelly, Spectrum IV, 1967

Edit: Remember that you need to maintain the normal value relationships between the colors. Nothing on the color wheel should be darker than purple. Remember you will probably need to add white to purple, red purple, blue purple, blue green and blue. Also remember that you need to make each color as bright (highest chroma) as possible.

One more hint: The phthalocyanine green is NOT spectral green. Green (and all secondaries) need to appear visually halfway between the 2 primaries that compose it.

No comments: