I've had a couple of drawing students email me about missing class and wanting to get their homework assignments. I commend you for your diligence, but I don't give homework assignments via email or telephone. This isn't because I am in any way upset with you for missing class, nor does it mean I am trying to make things difficult for you. The reason I don't give homework assignments through email or telephone is because each studio homework assignment is based on an exercise thoroughly explained during class time. For me to give you this assignment outside of class would mean that I would basically have to go through the entire lecture again for each person who missed.
The best strategy is to buddy up with one or two (or more) other classmates and have an agreement among yourselves that if one of you misses, that person can call the others for a discussion about the events of class and the homework assignments. I prefer this approach for a couple of reasons. One is that it frees me from having to re-explain the content of class to whomever misses and two is that is promotes a dialogue between classmates. This dialogue is important at this point in your academic career and will become even more so as you progress through the program.
I would also like to emphasize as I did in our first meeting, that if there are specific questions regarding assignments, I am happy to address them here on the blog. I don't mean questions like "what was our homework assignment?" I mean questions like, what kind of paper or medium, how many drawings, time frame, explanation of specific points, etc.
I am looking forward to seeing you all in class and having a great week.
PS: I am no longer using my yahoo email for school business. If you need to reach me through email, use my usm email account: traci.stover@usm.edu
Monday, August 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment